The food of a puppy remains essential, it is necessary to observe a certain number of precautions which are summarized below.
You must start by feeding your puppy with the food adapted to these needs and of quality, this all throughout his life.
We recommend the Proplan range which we also use exclusively on all our dogs and puppies, with the products from their range.
- The mother of your future puppy has fed them since the 5th week of gestation with a very high quality food
- (Proplan optistar starter) in order to prepare the weaning of your puppy, the taste of the food being found in the mother’s milk.
- Your puppy had a transition from kibble at 5 weeks of age to the range (Proplan optidigest puppy) and should now be fed this food designed for his age and breed until he is 8 years old -10 months.
- It will be necessary to avoid changing food (except in special cases) during growth.
Split the daily ration into 2 meals (morning and evening) and continue this rhythm throughout its life. For information, the daily ration is given as an indication on the bags of croquettes according to the age of the dog (on the back of each bag).
But, it will be necessary to adapt the quantities (better to give a little less than too much) according to the level of the dog’s activity.
Give the “dry” croquettes twice a day, with plenty of fresh water nearby.
Beyond the age of 12 months, you can use the range, Proplan: medium or mini adult (depending on the breed) and this until the age of about 7-9 years.
Beyond that, ranges specially designed for “seniors” exist.
No dietary supplements such as “calcium” need to be added.
- In the event of a change of kibble brand, you will need to ensure a transition over 8 days to avoid intestinal upset.
- You should also know that a neutered dog or a sterilized female dog, an inactive dog, more or less old, will tend to gain weight faster so you will have to be vigilant by adapting the doses accordingly
A good quality diet is recommended so that your puppy and future dog is all the necessary nutrition during its growth as well as a good complete and balanced diet in adulthood.
For information: we sell bags of kibble when your puppy leaves in a 3kg or 20kg bag